Sunday, March 1, 2015

A Time Traveller Sends a Postcard


By Israel Weinstein
 
I found this card in ruins of a tourist trap, above a volcano.  
The air reeks of sulfur, but the view -   
storm-gray rocks and lava trails  to violent sea - 
magnificent desolation.  
What year this is, I cannot say,  
those readouts have burned out long ago.  
Once I charted the eons  
by light pollution or the ice caps  
but now I am content to leap  
like a child trusting his father will catch him.  
When will this find you? The day of your birth?  
Double feature at the drive in? 
The night we watched  bombs shed the night’s skin? 
The fall  day when rain finally stopped 
and you said  this is no way to live?  
You were right,  or will be. 
The water’s edge tints red.  
An algal bloom or some chemical morass.   
Rocks melt in the silence.  
I will investigate.  
Yours. 
 
 
Poem source here

Image source here